Wednesday 24 June 2015

Stockholm

I arrived to Stockholm on Monday evening, a day after the longest day in the year. It was almost seven when I claimed my luggage, sorted out few things over the airport wifi and set off to the centre. I was staying with Števo and Ivka, but they were also flying back to Stockholm that day, arriving around 10 pm, thus I had a few hours to do some sightseeing.

Haha! Good joke Fero! Of course I went to play. The weather was nice and sunny plus I haven't played for some time and was keen to see how it works in my new destination. I walked around a bit, getting my bearings, and eventually found the street I was looking for - some sort of Stockholm version of Karl-Johans gate from Oslo, here named Drottinggatan. The city was a bit empty that evening, however, and my spot was also not the best one, with some works on a construction nearby. But all the same, it was fun and I enjoyed it, as well as some fans of Mark Knopfler who stopped by.

I then came to meet Števo at Spånga station, which was 3 stations away from the centre by a commuter train. It sounds as stone's throw away, but it was then when I fully appreciated the size of Stockholm - it's huge! Although Spånga is more then 15km away from the centre, it's still part of the city. There, the journey was not over yet, but Števo came to pick me up with a car, and thus began the hospitality unmatched during my trip, comparable only to the great taste of škvarky we had in Oslo!

Števo and Ivka live in a nice house in a quiet neighbourhood, and the only party they mentioned was a lawn-mowing party organized by the community and combined with a barbeque. It was truly very peaceful (the area, not sure about the party!) and after a good night of sleep, I felt recharged again and ready to play. Števo first mowed grass on his small garden and then we went together to the city, with a stop at a recycling station, which was full of automated robots compacting the different kinds of waste and I keep it open that it might have in fact been a settlement of extraterrestrial civilisation! Or perhaps Sweden is a country that simply works. Hmm.



We aimed for Gamla Stan, the historical centre, where Števo advised me on a spot by the Nobel prize museum. That one was, however, occupied, and we moved by the parliament - a beautiful spot on a small bridge and full of sunshine. Unfortunately, I managed only a single song, before being told I should move to a different place (just like in in front of the parliament in Oslo - there seems to be a pattern and perhaps I should confirm in front of the parliament in Helsinki!). We had to stroll bit down the street to Gamla Stan, as the competition seems to be high around here. First there was this guy who stands still (not sure how it's called) and who did not want a musician around. Then a minute away, I almost started to play when we noticed another guy playing on cups a few meters away. We finally found a cozy spot on a corner of a small alley, in a bit narrow part of the street. I haven't played like that yet, and it took me spome time to find a good balance of sounds. Števo was watching and helped a lot to attract people, or starting an applause after some songs. And took the pictures! 

It did not go too well, and Števo was interested how it would be if I play some more well known song. I thus tried Sultans, and that's when it took off finally. People started to stop by, and after Brothers in arms, I found around 10 people standing in the narrow street and watching, an audience I don't see often. As those were probably fans of Dire Straits, I continued with some of their songs before they dispersed and we played Tri Cunici with Števo :P Eventually it was a very nice gig, maybe the most enjoyable I played on this trip. 



We then went for a burger to Max, which I didn't know, but came to really like. The burgers are big and tasty, fries smell of potateos and it was all for a reasonable price, given we were in one of the most expensive cities in the world. 



We picked Ivka from work, did some shopping and made a great dinner - a salmon with mashed potatoes and a yoghurt salad, and some chocolate icecream after that, which "concluded us" and we went to sleep early. After all, Števo insisted on giving me a ride the next morning to the port, where I got on a biggest ferry I ever took. It's name is Grace, but it's sister just passed by.



In December, we thought Stockholm was a bit cold, not only temperature-wise. Now, I don't think that anymore - in either sense. I guess what you need is just to find the right people. Thanks to Števo and Ivka for everything. And although they're not original Stockholmers, it does not matter. After all, an original Stockholmer will come soon. Good luck with that! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment